Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Featured Botanical: Honeybush


Honeybush from the Cape of South Africa is one of my latest plant obsessions. I still love my green tea, but prefer to drink only three or so cups during the week now, and always before
6 pm. Honeybush tea is my preferred choice throughout the day at the moment and definitely right before bedtime.
It is a fragrant shrub with a slightly fruity-floral, smooth and mild taste. It contains virtually no tannin or caffeine - so you don't get that bitter taste that usually occurs with the green and black teas. It's said to be rich in Vitamin C, potassium and magnesium. And not surprisingly - some antioxidants. It's also reputed to help with hormonal and pre-menopausal imbalances.
Sounds good to me!
The photo above shows a simple herbal infusion that I made with organic honeybush leaves and lemongrass. Just boil one part honeybush with one part lemongrass. You can drink it straight up (no milk or sugar), but if you use a little honey that will enhance the overall flavour of the tea.
I haven't tried a cold honeybush infusion yet, but it's supposed to taste delicious as an iced tea or combined with fruit juices.
(Photo of Honeybush & Lemongrass Tea copyright Amanda Jones, 2008. All rights reserved.)

6 comments:

God's Princess said...

Hi there friend ;-)

Wow, you sound very knowledgeable about herbs and essential oils. I love aromatherapy and know a bit, but I don't know much about herbs. The teas you talk about sound amazing.

littlebrownpen said...

This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing. I love your blog, btw.

littlebrownpen said...

BTW, if you love essential oils and aromatherapy, definitely check out Amala. I write for them, and their products include nothing but whole plant ingredients, essential oils and plant oils. They are having a giveaway today. Check it out!

http://amalabeauty.blogspot.com/

Bajan Scent said...

Thanks so much littlebrownpen. I will definitely be checking them out.

Hyla Waldron said...

You have a very lovely blog! I am going to check back!

~Hyla
http://earthyfinds.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

Hi Hyla,
Thanks for stopping by!