Friday, February 27, 2009

Spicy Peanut Stew


This is a recipe I came across for a standard stew with peanuts. It originates from West Africa, unfortunately I cannot say which country exactly but I am going to research this. Served with millet or rice, it has the traditional hot spices, beloved ground provisions and flavours that many of us of African and Caribbean descent know and appreciate so well.
You can tone down or increase the hotness by reducing or increasing the amount of cayenne as you see fit. If you cannot obtain all the vegetables fresh, use canned ones where possible. You can also use yams or eggplant (aubergine) instead of the sweet potatoes if you like. Enjoy!
2 large onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. peanut oil
1 cup (4 oz, 110 g) shelled peanuts
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into small chunks
1 small cabbage, shredded
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. grated root ginger
1 tbsp. fresh cilantro (coriander)
½ cup (4 fl oz, 120 ml) tomato juice
½ cup (4 fl oz, 120 ml) apple juice
3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
8 oz. (225 g) okra, chopped
4 tbsp. peanut butter
1 tsp. salt

Sauté the onions and garlic in the oil until soft. Add the peanuts, sweet potato and cabbage. Cover the pot and stew gently for about five minutes.
Add the cayenne, ginger, cilantro, juices and tomatoes, and simmer until the cabbage is cooked.
Add the okra. Stir in the peanut butter and salt. Cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add more juice (or water) if the stew becomes too thick.
Makes six portions.

6 comments:

http://abebedorespgondufo.blogs.sapo.pt/ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angel said...

Yum I might try it!

Loreto said...

That sounds amazing!! I just bought a huge container of peanuts from Costco so I will definitely be making this dish. The photo is stunning as well.

LouAnn said...

This sounds delicious, I love peanuts, my husband loves cabbage. I think I am going to surprise him, this is something different.

FuturePrimitive said...

AMANDA! Thank you so much..The gorgeous Lime Tea perfume turned up the start of the week. WOW! It's so potent, and it reminded me instantly of the smell I remember whilst in Antigua last December. Don't know what you put in it, but it instantly struck a memory in my head of that wonderful island.
I shall do a blog about my win shortly.
It's gorgeous..I so wish I lived near to smell all the others you make x

Amanda said...

Angel, Loreto and LouAnn - let me know how your recipe turns out if you try it. I plan to try it as well, hopefully over the weekend soon. It does sound delicious.
Antonia, I'm so glad that the perfume arrived safely and that you liked it. I'll try to do another giveaway again in the near future.