Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Scent of Tobacco


A little over a year ago I posted about some wild tobacco flowers that I found by chance growing in my grandmother's garden.
Well since then while researching perfume ingredients, again by chance I came across an old formula for a 'Tobacco Flowers Perfume'. This particular formula dated from a 1940's book on botanicals and most of the ingredients, like bergamot, that were used in this formula are very familiar and still very much in existence today. The recipe described the aroma of tobacco flowers as being "reminiscent of clary sage, tonka, rose, carnation and honey."

It inspired me to do some more research on tobacco flower perfumes and to set about re-creating the scent of tobacco flowers either as a stand-alone perfume or as an accord that can then be incorporated into another perfume. I also hope to use only or mostly all-natural ingredients for this project.

It is a painstaking, but fun and interesting challenge to go over these vintage perfume books and learn about the ingredients used back then, and then try to modernize or substitute them with modern-day raw materials and present them in a way that can appeal to people today.

Oh, and the tobacco flowers that I took from my grandmother's garden? Well, I never did manage to get them to grow, unfortunately. But hopefully I will have more success in re-creating their scent.

1 comment:

eula_w said...

Hope you can discover more scent on the tobacco you planted. :)

human pheromones