Sunday, March 3, 2013

Another vintage Jamaican perfume


White Witch is another vintage perfume from Jamaica that I recently came across by chance online. This one doesn't appear to be by Benjamins like the Khus Khus perfume. But still extremely interesting none the less, especially as it seems to have been inspired by the legend of the White Witch of Rose Hall. I remember hearing about this legend when I was young, but I'll have to do some research because I've forgotten exactly what it was about.

No info on the actual notes this perfume contains, but it was made in Jamaica during the 1960's. Here it is on Etsy:

I also remember there was a book based on the story, which is still available on Amazon:
.

It seems that there were different versions to the legend. In any case, this is an interesting example of how both scent and literature can be used together to document and explore a country's folklore and culture.

No comments: